Portrait Mode on iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 7 Portrait Mode – Apple has just released iOS 10.1 with bug fixes and some improvements including the long awaited feature for iPhone 7 Plus, the Portrait Mode. The company claimed that the feature allows users to shoot like a pro with New Depth-of-Field Effect (Beta). You can find the Portrait mode on your iPhone 7 Plus in the camera app, in between Photo and Square mode.
The Portrait Mode uses both 12-megapixel cameras on iPhone 7 Plus and advanced machine learning. The bokeh effect on the portrait mode will create your image subject sharp while creating a blurred background. This effect was previously only capable on DSLR cameras, but you can now enjoy it on your iPhone 7 Plus.
The Portrait mode is still in beta so there probably some problems occur but we can expect enhancements in future iOS updates.
The iOS 10.1 not only brings the portrait mode, but also brings other improvements and bug fixes like transit directions for Japan, solves some smartwatch problems, improves Bluetooth connectivity with third-party accessories, bugs fixes on Messages and more.
Here’s the official announcement about the iOS 10.1 update.
This update includes Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus (beta), transit directions for Japan, stability improvements and bug fixes.
Camera and Photos
- Introduces Portrait Camera for iPhone 7 Plus that creates a depth effect that keeps your subject sharp while creating a beautifully blurred background (beta)
- People names in the Photos app are saved in iCloud backups
- Improved the display of wide color gamut photos in the grid views of the Photos app
- Fixes an issue where opening the Camera app would show a blurred or flashing screen for some users
- Fixes an issue that caused Photos to quit for some users when turning on iCloud Photo Library
- Transit support for every major train, subway, ferry, and national bus line, as well as local bus systems for Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya
- Sign-based transit navigation including layouts of all underground structures and walkways that connect large transit stations
- Transit fare comparison when viewing alternative transit routes
- New option to replay bubble and full screen effects
- Messages effects can play with Reduce Motion enabled
- Fixes an issue that could lead to contact names appearing incorrectly in Messages
- Addresses an issue where Messages could open to a white screen
- Addresses an issue that could prevent the report junk option from displaying with unknown senders
- Fixes an issue where videos captured and sent in the Messages app could be missing audio
- Adds distance and average pace to workout summaries in the Activity app for outdoor wheelchair run pace and outdoor wheelchair walk pace
- Fixes issues that may have prevented Music playlists from syncing to Apple Watch
- Addresses an issue that was preventing invitations and data to appear in Activity Sharing
- Fixes an issue that was allowing Activity Sharing to update over cellular when manually disabled
- Resolves an issue that was causing some third-party apps to crash when inputting text
Other improvements and fixes
- Improves Bluetooth connectivity with 3rd party accessories
- Improves AirPlay Mirroring performance when waking a device from sleep
- Fixes an issue where playback would not work for iTunes purchased content when the “Show iTunes Purchases” setting is turned off
- Fixes an issue where certain selfie apps and face filters used with the FaceTime HD Camera on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus did not display a live preview
- Fixes an issue in Health where individual strokes are converted to separate characters when using the Chinese handwriting keyboard
- Improves performance of sharing websites from Safari to Messages
- Fixes an issue in Safari that caused web previews in tab view to not display correctly
- Fixes an issue that caused certain Mail messages to be reformatted with very small text
- Fixes an issue that caused some HTML email to be formatted incorrectly
- Fixes an issue that in some cases caused the search field to disappear in Mail
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Today View Widgets from updating when launched
- Fixes an issue where Weather widget sometimes failed to load data
- Fixes an issue on iPhone 7 where Home Button click settings would not appear in search results
- Fixes an issue that prevented spam alert extensions from blocking calls
- Resolves an issue that could prevent alarm sounds from going off
- Fixes an issue where audio playback via Bluetooth would cause the Taptic engine to stop providing feedback for some users
- Resolves an issue preventing some users from restoring from iCloud Backup
Complete information about the security content of iOS 10.1 update is available here.
iOS 10.1 Compatible Devices
Here’s the iOS 10.1 compatible devices:
iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus
9.7-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2
iPod Touch 6th generation
Download and Install iOS 10.1 Update
The iOS 10.1 update is currently available for download over the air (OTA Update) or through iTunes. You can also download it using the direct download links and update your device manually. Make sure to back up your device before updating it with iOS 10.1. You can back up your device using iTunes or iCloud.
Finally, it is highly recommended to get the iOS 10.1 update as it brings bugs fixes on your iPhone 7 and 7 Plus so you can use your iPhone smoothly. Start the update and enjoy the portrait modeon your new iPhone 7 Plus.